Sunday, January 11, 2015

K-PO KPS30SW : Fan noise and differences

Hello all,

At the last HAM fest, 2 fellow HAM's, William (PE1BZF) and Herman (PE1GDF), told me that one salesperson was selling low-noise PAPST fans which fit in my PSU's.

My PSU's are 2 identical K-PO KPS30SW PSU's.... well, I thought they were identical......

Let's start with the first one......
The KPO front and back.. with crappy fan....


So what am i replacing it with..... This nice PAPST fan.... Twice as beefy :)



So i open up the first PSU....... And swap over the fan.....


Here you can clearly see the fan is twice as thick....

So after the fan was fitted, I installed the psu back on it's spot and turned it on... just a little less air noise, no more rattling and humming, but more important, at least twice the airflow.
I am one happy HAM with this change.....

So, time to start the second PSU..... and i was in somewhat of a shock....
Biggest difference was..... A bi-metal thermal switch thingie... Or whatever they are called in English.. (please let me know in the comments... ;) )


This was not the only difference... This one was build much cleaner, less past and glue stuff...

So a big thanks to the people at KPO for making cheap PSU's which do the job quite well, but who are in no way consistent in what they build :)

Dont get me wrong , both PSU's do the job well, and are in no way bad PSU's, especially when you remember that for 30 Amps you only have to cough up 80 euro's....

73's
Alex
PA1SBM



No comments:

Post a Comment